The content of the postings is owned by the respective author. vbfeeds.com is not responsible for the contents of the postings. This site is automatically generated and cannot be reviewed for abusive content. If you find abusive content on vbfeeds.com, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we will remove it. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. vbfeeds.com Copyright © 2005 Serge Baranovsky. All rights reserved.
Steele Price - VB
7/12/2004 4:41:00 PM
Update: somehow I missed these threads when I posted...
A well-deserved smack back to some C# zealotry
Why VB.Net Is Better Than C#
Language wars (sigh)
I really share Eric's sentiments here, but I however, will comment...
[Via HumanCompiler - Erik Porter (MS MVP) Blog]
Sorry if whoever's doing this reads my blog, but personally I think a lot of the stuff on your list is really silly.
C-Sharpener For VB - Why Switch?
On a point by point basis, why this list annoys the heck out of me, and makes the list itself outrageous to seasoned VB developers.
The "For the Developer list"
- maybe, the average is perhaps biased, It's not like you will make more money just for developing in C#. Quality code is Quality code no matter what the language.
- C# is no more elegant looking than VB, PERIOD.
- C# is closer to java, so what? I don't program in java unless I am forced to and that is extremely rare. In fact I use DotNet to specifically avoid Java altogether.
- VB is perceived as a "toy" language. ONLY BECAUSE OF MISREPRESENTATIONS LIKE THIS STUPID LIST!
- Bah, show me ONE Microsoft person besides Anders that will publicly admit to this.
- First point is addressed in Whidbey, 2nd addressed with nDoc, 3rd who cares, if you want unsafe code you probably wouldn't write it in C# anyway, you can't (at least shouldn't) write a hardware driver in C#.
- um, all those are the next release of VB too, not just C#.
The "For the Manager Section"
- your code won't magically improve by switching to C#. If this statement actually had any merit, we would all be programming in ADA.
- VB is 3x more productive for me than C# and the main reason I don't switch primary development to it, besides that, I just don't like C style syntax, in C#, C++ OR Java, I don't care how many people love it, I don't.
- this is PURE crap, if it's mixed, its mixed, you can switch all the C# to VB just as easily, if not MORE easily without codegen.
- so what, we aren't using DotNet for portability, and Mono can compile VB anyway.
- ECMA doesn't make syntax any more standards stable than anything else from Microsoft.
- LIE, flat out LIE... anything they sell is written in C++.
- both points are totally moot to MOST development efforts and point #1 is solved completely with nDoc.
Lists like this remind me of idiots promoting rumor and inuendo as facts that must be refuted by sites like this.